Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Free to Be...Me*

Perhaps you remember this from the '70's?
It was quite the star-studded cast!
(Oh my!  You can watch an episode of it over here!)


Right now I'm working on what it means to be me.  

This may sound silly, but the reinvention of myself (aligning my roles with my soul) requires ongoing revisions of what I want my life to look like.  And the trick is to realize it will only truly look like something uniquely my own.

I'm resisting the trap of comparing my ______ with others.  Claiming Freedom* as my word for the year, I am giving myself permission to be ME and have that be enough.  This is a new concept; one which the "not good enough" tribe to which I used to belong does not want me to enjoy!

When contemplating an image for this post, I decided on this flower.  It stood majestically along the shore of Lake Erie this past summer.  Embracing its own unique beauty, it had no thought or intention of being anything other than the type of flower it was created to be. 
(I want that same assurance.)


"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else
is the greatest accomplishment."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson


One of the biggest realizations on my yogic path ~ and the true essence and purpose of Yoga itself ~ is this:  "you are whole, complete, perfect, beautiful, loving, blissful, and you know everything there is to know...

Transcending mind-made limitations doesn't mean you stop being yourself.  On the contrary, you become more yourself than ever before.  Clarity, freedom, strength, joy, and connectedness with all that is are effortless by-products of transcending your limitations.  Yoga is about revealing happiness...As you remove each of your resistances, fears, and negativities, you will come closer to knowing who you really are.  And this is the highest yoga practice."

~Steve Ross 
in the book Happy Yoga 
 
THESE are the truths I am learning to embrace as I get comfortable with what it means to be...Free to Be Me.  :-)

* * * 

p.s.
HUGE gratitude to Lorilyn for crafting this amazing video blog post explaining part of her unique journey.   It's brilliant and fascinating!

No comments:

Post a Comment