Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 11 ~ The Marblehead Light


I don't remember how old I was when I fell in love with this lighthouse.  As best I can recall, it was a special site for me even back in high school.  And to this day, it continues to be a sacred space.

Each time I go, whether for just a few minutes or for a longer, more meditative visit, it is a reverent pilgrimage of sorts.  I find the energy there very centering, cleansing, and healing

Last summer, I had the chance (for the second time in my life, I believe) to tour the inside and navigate my way around the top open-air lookout.   The view is spectacular!


There's Cedar Point Amusement Park straight ahead in the distance.


And a wonderful view of the magical rocks below.  (More on those in another post.)


Then back down the 77 steps of the narrow, spiral staircase!

This is the oldest continually working lighthouse on Lake Erie, in operation sine 1822.  When the original light keeper died in 1832, his wife took over the role, making her the first woman light keeper on the Great Lakes.  (Click here to read more.)


There is a lovely museum house on the property now.  It contains an array of interesting historical treasures about the Lighthouse, as well as certain artifacts from the surrounding area.


If you ever have the chance to visit, I hope you do.  You will not be disappointed.

* * *

I am indeed grateful for the Marblehead Lighthouse. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment