* * *
The Five Contemplations
1. This food is the gift of the whole universe;
the earth, the sky, numerous living beings,
and much hard, loving work.
2. May we eat with mindfulness and gratitude
so as to be worthy to receive it.
3. May we recognize and transform
our unwholesome mental formations,
especially our greed,
and learn to eat with moderation.
4. May we keep our compassion alive by eating in such a way
that we reduce the suffering of living beings,
preserve our planet, and reverse the process of global warming.
5. We accept this food so that we may
nurture our sisterhood and brotherhood,
strengthen our community,
and nourish our ideal of serving all living beings.
* * *
from Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life
by Thich Nhat Hanh and Dr. Lilian Cheung
You may read more
on the Five Mindfulness Trainings
by clicking here.